Simply put, applying for Social Security disability benefits is often a stressful endeavour that sees most applicants denied within the initial stages. You can avoid most of the frustration by contacting an experienced Springfield IL disability lawyer. Donald J. Hanrahan is a lawyer that knows how to apply for disability benefits. Contact him today to learn about how he can help you successfully file your claim.
How to Apply For Disability
You may apply for your disability benefits by phone, online, or in person. You do not need an appointment to apply in person, however scheduling a time will greatly reduce the amount of time that you wait.
We strongly recommend that you review your application with a disability lawyer. They can make sure that your application is complete, as well as help you gather all the necessary pieces of information required to apply.
What Information Does the SSA Require?
The Social Security Administration (SSA) requires that you state the reason for your application, which includes information on your work history and why you can no longer work. In addition, you must submit any information that is related to your medical condition and the ways in which it limits your ability to work.
The SSA requires that you provide following information:
- Date and place of birth;
- Social Security number;
- Current and former spouse information; and
- All the bank accounts that are in your name.
The SSA requires that you provide the following documents:
- Certificate of birth;
- Proof of citizenship;
- 1099 MISC and/or W-2 forms from your current and former jobs;
- Any medical evidence or documents related to your condition; and
- Any documents that are related to your workers’ compensation claims.
The SSA requires comprehensive medical information concerning your claim and condition, including:
- Contact information for doctors, chiropractors, physical therapists, psychiatrists, and counselors;
- Information on services received from medical practices, hospitalizations, and clinics;
- A list of every medication that you are taking; and
- Information about every medical tests ordered by your doctors.
Lastly, the SSA requires that you submit information related to your work history, such as:
- Annual income for the year;
- Former employers names and addresses;
- Social Security statement;
- Military service information (if applicable);
- Information concerning every job you’ve held for the last 15 years; and
- Workers’ compensation information and other related benefits.
Tips for Successfully Filing a Social Security Disability Claim
Review the following tips for successfully filing a Social Security disability claim to avoid delays or possibly even a denial.
- First, review the SSA Blue Book to make sure that you meet the minimum requirements of your disability listing. This Blue Book contains the medical conditions that qualify for disability benefits, as well as the severity they must be to qualify.
- Make sure to completely detail every piece of information related to your medical condition. The more extensive your answers, the more likely you will get approved.
- Even if you’ve already submitted your application, make sure to add any ongoing medical information as it comes in.
- Write in a journal daily about how your condition impacted your life that day. This journal can serve as additional information that helps to prove your condition.
- Hire an experienced Springfield IL disability lawyer to improve your chances of getting approved for your disability benefits.
What If Your Application Is Denied?
As stated above, most applications are denied within the initial application process. With the help of your attorney, you can submit an appeal for reconsideration. Submitting this request will allow you to add any other information that the SSA needs to approve your claim.
Contact an Experienced Springfield IL Disability Lawyer Now
Ensure your chances of getting approved for disability benefits by contacting an experienced Springfield IL disability lawyer at Donald J. Hanrahan today.